Friday, November 22, 2013

Our Illuminating Blog, Some Don’t Like It

“I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to make everyone happy.” ~Bill Cosby

In mid-2012, I decided it was time to take this blog more seriously. It was then that I began to write informative pieces to benefit the consumer of outdoor lighting products: the homeowner or business property manager, the residential homeowner’s association folks, and those that make decisions about the addition of lighting for safety and security. This was a risky choice on my part – most lighting blogs out there are written for the contractors in the industry. But I’ve always felt that educating the public was the best way to elevate the quality of the work. An informed buyer will demand excellence because he/she knows the difference between high quality products and designs, and those that are manufactured cheaply or without thought.

steps 2

Friends and colleagues warned me that this choice might not be popular with my competitors or some others working in the outdoor lighting field. My goal has been to take some of the mystery out of outdoor lighting. Armed with solid and practical tips from my blog, the average homeowner may be able to ask questions that some lighting installers would prefer not to answer. To counter my attempts to educate potential outdoor lighting buyers, some other contractors in the industry have tried to discredit me by taking some of my quotes out of the context in which they were written. Although I should have expected it, I’m always surprised when a business owner tries to mount a negative campaign against the more popular competition in an effort to make themselves look better. While I don’t feel the need to address any single specific slight against my writings, I will remind those that read my blog that I do own my own business, and speak about products, techniques and conditions that I use and encounter everyday in servicing the clients that have hired me in Central Texas and beyond. I design systems using excellent products that fit the needs of the climate, function, and budget as I work with my client. Addressing the appropriate circumstance to use the highest end products will be a topic for another blog.

I like to think that integrity is the hallmark of my small business. To that end, it would be counter-productive to lead my readers astray with bad or dishonest information. It’s also certainly possible that my opinions won’t always match that of other industry professionals. And that’s okay, too – it’s a big field and not all of us have experienced every scenario or every product. My aim is not to make my competition happy, but simply to inform those interested in outdoor lighting.

So my advice to the reader is this: Before making your final decision on the purchase of an expensive outdoor lighting system, I encourage you to do some of your own research on companies and products. I always recommend members of the Association of Outdoor Lighting Professionals first. Getting the most for your investment is largely the responsibility of the purchaser, the end user – YOU! Reviews, blogs and references will be very helpful tools to employ before you spend. Ultimately, what you learn – the good and bad – will inform your decision so you will be comfortable and happy with the outcome for a long time. www.night-scenes.com

2 comments:

  1. I very much enjoy your lighting blog. Keep up the good work!

    ___________
    Bruce Gold
    American National Sprinkler & Lighting
    http://americannationalco.com/contact_us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bruce, we will! Have an illuminating day

      Delete