Thursday, April 23, 2009

The beginning part II


So to continue my little story, I spent a lot of time studying low voltage lighting and low voltage electrical theory. Although I was well educated in household electrical theory, low voltage was a whole new animal with much less room for error. This is why most electricians don't do so well in the field of low voltage lighting. I'll get into this in greater detail later.

I learned about all of the different ways to allow equal electrical distribution to each of the light fixtures. I'm sure that almost everyone has seen that home improvement lighting system with some lights that are quite bright and others that are very dim. This is due to poor electrical distribution and the reason I really wanted to make sure that I knew what I was getting into and how to "do it right".

I read many online forums, articles, books, and anything else I could find. I also ran several tests and tried several techniques to make certain that when I did start installing, my systems would be top notch, mechanically.

Next came choosing the fixtures that I would use. In my readings I learned that there were many lighting manufacturers. I had no idea but there are hundreds of landscape lighting manufacturers and they range from great to the stuff that is found at the box stores and yes, the box store stuff is nothing but a waste of money.

I contacted Hadco, FX, Kichler and a couple of others. Kichler was the only one that actually talked to me. They were very helpful to me is getting my website up and running, allowing me to use some photos since I didn't have any of my own yet. They also had a huge selection of quality products.

Currently I use Kichler, Vista, CAST, HK, Hunza, Hadco and many others, depending on the project and fixture required for a task.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment