Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The beginning


OK, so I'm starting this blog with no idea as to what I am doing. I guess I'll start with a quick introduction.

I won't bother with my name and such because those things are included in my profile. Instead I will focus on how I got into lighting.

I was a night club disc jockey for several years and needed something to supplement my income. I had a friend who was an electrician and a heating/ac guy and he offered me a part time job. This was great, I was able to make a little more money and learn a trade at the same time. I became very interested in becoming an electrician and learned the trade pretty quickly (I think). After a few years of working with my friend I gave up the DJ thing (a total of 20 years in that business) and focused solely on electrical work. A couple of years later my friend took me aside and told me that he could no longer keep me on but would use me as a sub contractor if I were to go it alone and that is where the fun began.

I went home from that meeting and told my wonderful bride that I was no longer employed and would be starting my own electrical contractor business. The birth of PRG Ventures was here!! We created business cards and told all of my friends that I was available for hire. This went pretty well for awhile but it became quite evident that there were too many electricians in my small town and no one could make a decent living. At about this same time, one of my clients asked me if I would please "do some lighting" in a small area of his yard where he and his wife liked to sit and enjoy a glass of wine in the evenings. I agreed to do the job although I had no idea as to what I should do. I looked at the area and had a few ideas so I went to the gettin' place and picked up some cheap lighting equipment and did the job. I went back that night, with my wife, daughter and mother in-law to see how it turned out and BOOM, I was hooked!! Although compared to the work we do today the job was "not good", it was great that night and it stirred an interest in me. I spent that weekend finding out everything I could regarding landscape lighting. I finally came out of my cave on Sunday evening telling my very supportive bride that I would be starting a landscape lighting company. Needless to say, she was not very enthusiastic about the idea but she was, as always, supportive.

Thus was born, NightScapes!! I joined the Low voltage Lighting Association of the Americas, went to Cleveland, Ohio to attend a lighting class offered by Kichler Lighting and put together a website and we were on our way.

I will get into more of this later on but I wanted to at least get started on this blog and thought that I may as well start with a little history.

No comments:

Post a Comment