Sunday, April 26, 2009

Getting to it!

After learning the basics it was time to get my feet wet and start doing some real lighting.  I contacted my previous electrical clients to let them know that I was providing a new service and would love to enhance their properties.  Since I had great relationships with my clients, it wasn’t long before I had projects to do.

My first real lighting job was located in Kingsland, on the Llano river arm of lake LBJ.  It was a small project with some down lights that I placed in a pecan tree, some path lights along a walkway that led to a storage shed and then a few up lights for some trees.  This was a great learning experience. 

I learned that I really needed a 30’ extension ladder if I were going to be installing lighting in trees.  This allowed for a softer vine-path-lights-alight on the ground and more shadows from the limbs of the trees.  I also learned about glare and path light placement!!  I make a special point to let clients know what to look for in a good path light and I try to choose the fixture for my clients.  We do NOT want to use fixtures with glass lenses that allow viewing of the light source.  We also try to NOT place path lights in turf areas.  These lessons were huge and I’m very glad that I learned them early on.

On another note, as this blog continues I will be featuring some of our projects.  I’m sure that you will enjoy reading about some of the projects that we do and how we go about designing and installing them.  I’ll also include photos of these projects.  I’ll begin this with projects that we have already completed so check back often because your project may be the next one that we feature.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment